Distance Education is an educational process and system in which all or a significant proportion of the teaching is carried out by someone at a distance from the learner. Distance education is very beneficial for candidates who wish to pursue their higher studies but do not have the time to do so. Students can pursue their studies by not attending regular classes in the campus. Thus the motto of Distance learning program of the University is to overcome the socioeconomic and geographical bindings in getting higher education and to continue learning by people who stay at remote places or already employed, housewives etc. Distance education has opened the gates of“Learning Anytime Anywhere”.
The objective of Distance Education is to:
- Acquire Knowledge
- Enhancing Qualifications
- Career Enhancement /Promotion
- Social Status
- To provide high quality, value based career-orientededucation to students and working professionals.
- To facilitate students in understanding, developingintegration and applying both core and specializedconcepts and practices.
- To provide students with a stimulating and learningfriendlyatmosphere so that they can utilize theirintellectual capacities to specialize in various areas ofstudy.
- To produce energetic, effective efficient and ethicallydriven graduate and postgraduates to serve society.
The School of Distance Learning, Jagan Nath University,uses distance learning as an alternative to regular coursesin order to make the course materials accessible to largenumber of students countrywide. Distance learningcourses are delivered primarily via the internet and offernew teaching methodologies specially designed coursematerials by the specialists from various universities andindustries and tailored means of delivery. Appropriatevideoconferencing sessions are organized to stimulate anacademic environment. The greatest advantage of distancelearning as a study methodology is that its reach is notconfined by such constraints as geographical location &time. Thus, any registered student, anywhere in thecountry, can benefit from Jagan Nath University's distancelearning program at a time and place convenient to him.
School of Distance Learning
(Approved by Distance Education Bureau and theJoint Committee of UGC-AICTE-DEB)
The School of Distance Learning, Jagan NathUniversity has been established and approved byDistance Education Council in the year 2010. TheSchool is well equipped with computer and otherinfrastructure, adequate teaching faculty andadministrative set-up of its own, computertraining centres, etc to serve its studentsclientele in their best interest at their door steps.
The Distance learning programs of JaganNath University has:
- Sector-specific and job-oriented.
- Modern up-to-date curriculum
- Lateral entry for diploma holders in the relateddegree programmes.
- Effective Personal Contact Programme.
- Adequate hands-on training for ComputerPracticals.
- Examination conducted twice in a year.
Design and Structure of the Program
Distance education simply means impartingeducation from a distance wherein the teacherand the student are physically separated. Interms of design and structure the commonfeatures of Bachelors and Masters degreeprograms as mentioned:
The medium of instruction is English. The state ofthe art distance learning methodology includes:
- Internet-supported Audio/Video course ware.
- Virtual classrooms through on-line teaching &training.
- Videoconferencing through VSAT.
- Audiovisual of multimedia products.
- CD/DVDs versions of distance learningcourse wares.
Comprehensive Course Content
Comprehensive course ware will be supplied to allthe candidates. Each book is divided into units.Each unit is written in self-instructional style andconsists of introduction objectives structures ofunits main contents self test activities andsuggested reading. In addition students will beencouraged to refer recommended bookswherever necessary.
Assignments are an integral component ofdistance education. The assignments areuploaded on to the website during each session tobe submitted by the students. Assignments servethe purpose of evaluation of the student'sperformance. Local Counselors who also providefeedback on a student's performance evaluatethese assignments
Counseling is an important activity in distanceeducation and is entirely different from usualclassroom teaching. Counselors answerquestions during counseling sessions besidesclarifying doubts of students and helping them toovercome difficulties they face while goingthrough the study material. These counselingsessions also offers students an opportunity tointeract with their peers.
Depending upon the structure of the subject arequired amount of practical training is impartedto the students at the learning centres. Practicaltraining is necessary in order to understand thereal & practical aspects/ implications of thatparticular subject.
The University follows a unique pedagogy for thecourses offered through distance mode, so thatstudents can learn with latitude and empathy: Thepedagogy has emphasis on:
“Believe in the best…. Have a goal for the best,never be satisfied with less than your best, try yourbest and in the long run things will turn out for thebest.”
- Clear conceptual understanding of subjectthrough contact classes.
- Reinforcement of learned concepts throughcase studies and audio-visual aids.
- Wide range of human skills and techniques forcreative thinking & decision making.
- Practice through assignment and projects.
- Communication skills leadership & Teamworkskills gained through various group activities.
- Application by real life training.
List of study centres with complete address and passed the examinations under ODL programmes during the last three academic sessions. : NA
List of Examination Centres : NA